Friday, July 06, 2018

Dear witnesses, observers and those watching church leaders....

 I posted this on Facebook on 7/6/18. It spurred on a great piece of feedback that inspired me to write a three part blog. This would be part one. I am addressing any of you, of us who are watching the news and reading articles, and listening to discussions, and witnessing the actions of church leaders from many different denominations react to the world's issues as well as walk through (and/or avoid) scandals of all kinds. This is to those of us caught in the middle. We aren't the victims and we aren't the leaders, but we are being affected. (I will write more, or attempt to address those directly affected by these actions (refugees/abuse victims, LGBTQ community, immigrants, people of color) and then to leaders of the church...in coming blogs.
 

PART 1

In light of many stories breaking lately in our world I wanted to say something to my friends who are waking through pain, hopelessness, discouragement &/or betrayal at the silence, senseless words and/or inappropriate behavior of pastors, priests, leaders and those who represent God in any way relationally, politically and in all forms of leadership: Although we seek their wisdom, elevate their statuses, and tweet their quotes... churches are made of humans who are capable of neglecting truth and justice, hurting, abusing, sexualizing, marginalizing and slandering others both intentionally and ignorantly just like anyone else. We don’t want them to ever “fall from grace” b/c we expect they live at higher standards than others but they are susceptible to destructive choices and often cause a bigger ripple of hurt when they do. It's hard to watch these things unfold. We can feel so helpless. As a faith leader myself I want to apologize to you for your dissatisfaction, disappointment, trauma and/or pain from church leaders in the past and present (and some day if I haven’t already...my silence, words and/or behavior will most likely let you down, hurt, or piss you off too-if I haven’t already). Don’t let the church (which includes me) or any person(s) in “church work” hinder you from God—God will never reject you, hurt, lie, forsake, use or manipulate you. I pray you can heal, move on and forgive those that have harmed you as God works to heal and restore them too. God loves you.









No comments: