Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Me, the Film Critic

Someone gave me a film on DVD and asked me to preview it and give feedback. Man, it was not easy. Here's my response.


Hi __________ thanks for dropping off the DVD.  I appreciate you seeking me out--because film is a huge passion of mine. I did pop it in and watched the first few 15 mins.

Y'know, as a self-proclaimed "film buff, "I  love movies and 1st and foremost I appreciate people trying to make films. It's a lot of hard work to make it all come together. Being a film critic or an American Idol judge is not my intended desire cause I'm more of a pastor and I want to "nurture people." :)--But you asked for some feedback so here goes:I have some thoughts:

-It seemed like the target was teenagers or even younger tweenies---so maybe that's why I hard a hard time jumping into it...and I had a hard time believing the acting, the main girls/boy were big caricatures which serves a point, but maybe is better for something like a youth group sketch--One technical note was that I had was that I had hard time reading the screen during the the online chatting scene. Maybe it was the DVD quality but I'm just saying.

I have to be honest I didn't finish it because my time just feels so precious and can be limiting w/ kids, family, ministry and my own creative pursuits and it didn't grab me in the 1st 15 mins so I didn't finish watching it. I feel bad but I wanted to be honest about my feedback since you asked.

I hope I don't offend you and I don't mean to be presumptuous or arrogant by any means.--but I just read this article passed on by a friend and it made me think of this film:

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/film/features/23250-why-are-christian-movies-so-bad

I hope this is OK and I would be happy to chat w/ you by phone or even talk w/ the producers of it. I'm no expert, but I love films and have my own experiences w/ film making that give me a somewhat biased opinion. :)

Let me know how/where I can get the DVD back to you.

much thanks
tony

------------
I dont' know how Roger Ebert does it. UG!


No comments: