Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Stories can change the world

That's my new mantra.


I believe it. Wholeheartedly.
All stories CAN, meaning they have the ability, to bring change. They change our minds, they change our hearts, they change our actions.

Big stories like: the story of a man, a man-God, a God-man changed my life, changed my world through understanding an unconditional and sacrificial love.

And I've seen it happen to others, like a ripple effect, and I'm better because of how that story changed others.

And I've been changed by other "little stories": like a grandma who ran into her friend from high school and rekindled some old flame, or my kid who was nervous about starting kindergarten and made a best friend on her first day....or "The Greatest Showman" (Hugh Jackman musical) that just came out last month (which I think I need to blog on soon) and riveted me so much I bawled and saw it three times since.

So whatever the size, stories impact us. They make us feel and sometimes they compel us to action.

Perhaps that's why I love MOVIES so much.
I love watching them, talking about them, and MAKING THEM and I love FEELING them.

It brings me such energy. It is life for me. It's my worship (more on that in a minute).

For SIX YEARS I've taken a pilgrimage to PARK CITY, UTAH for the most influential film fest in the world. SUNDANCE. I highly recommend this experience. It's like CAMP! Surreal!

Six years ago I went on a whim, with Fuller Seminary (and Windrider Film Forum) as a student to discuss films, theology, and culture. It was awe inspiring, so much that on the first day in my first film I fell to my knees. Literally. I had experienced something so profound that it moved me to my knees, I was so weak and filled at the same time.

And I've gone ever since.

While I sit in the cinemas of this fest, I experience God in the same way many of us experience spirituality in a building with a cross on it on a Sunday morning.

It is my sanctuary. These moving images wash over me, read me, convict me, heal me and disturb me. WHY? Because I see God in (almost) every story. I think every story is a GOD story in some way. What does that mean?

It means in some way every story seen in film (or otherwise) is a story about forgiveness, freedom, hope, life death, resurrection( and more). And it was at Sundance that I realized these universal themes that I studied for my Masters Degree (and every day of my life and church work) were evident everywhere and beyond the boxes in which I put them.



It only made me want more. So I've returned every year since. Since my first trip in 2013 I've been on this roller coaster of inspiration. I go with a great group of theologians from Fuller Seminary and Film lovers from all around the world and we meet to discuss all the great issues of our time expressed through these films like race, women, sexuality and climate concerns to name a few.



When I first attended Sundance in 2013, I hadn't made film at that point, but I knew I would, simply from being around all that genius talent and inspiration. Panel discussions (above NETFLIX movie "A Stupid and Futile Gesture), workshops, Q and A's with directors, writers, and actors wooed me into joining this tribe! (And I finally did in 2014 when I made 1440 and Counting. And over the past five years I've made a myriad of short films...and now this year I attended with my friend and co-producer of my first feature film (Check it out here. 33 DAYS). What a journey!

Ed and I told anyone who would listen about the film we are producing. We met producers, distributors, and film lovers and shared our passion about one man who did a thirty-three day hunger strike. It was quite a week. (I would wake up at 7am and not get to bed until 1 or 2 am each day). We also had a quite a few laughs. People are strange. We humans are wacky, weird, and outright hilarious. People watching and interacting is THE BEST!

** PRO-TIP** I wore ORANGE GLASSES all around the fest because I was meeting SO MANY PEOPLE that I wanted to find a way to be memorable. So I could follow-up with "Hey, this is Tony Gapastione, the guy with the orange glasses." That's my thing now! Orange glasses at the fest!



  
And did I mention FREE COFFEE everywhere. Crazy how much swag and food they give away.

So this year, I pulled out a script I was working on and literally held it up as an act of faith. I WILL make movies. I will create, I will be a a part of changing the world by telling stories. I don't know exactly how or when, but I will. It's my prayer. It's my dream. It's my mission...from God (dare I say??!!)Who wants to join me? I need some sugar daddies, er..I mean angels! Angel investors, executive producers to finance these things! Hit me up! (SERIOUSLY!).


So what's next? Lots and I don't know. I'll keep plugging away at my passions. I'll keep telling stories to my kids at night, to our church,  to anyone who will listen, and with my typing fingers on my computer with the hopes that they'll get on a big screen (or little screen) somewhere and change a life, change the world.

Here's to dreaming!

 Stories CAN change the world.

NOT EVERY story does, but every story can.
So make it a good one.
Tell a GOOD one. LIVE A GOOD ONE!

Keep creating!
Thanks for reading.
That's my 2 cents. 

Tony Gapastione
#orangeglasses

No comments: