Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Conference take-aways



Just got back home this week from a great conference in Dallas. It was great to learn and getaway, but also great to be home! There's no place like home!

I had a great time with LEADNOW, an organization geared toward twenty and thirty somethings and leadership of our generation. The above video is a snippet from last year's event--(I already bought tickets for next year)--but it gives you the general feel to the experience I had! I had a good time of refreshing in my personal relationship with God and some affirmations of what is already happening in our are ministry. Here are some take-aways that affirmed and challenged me!


-Create (less programs) and be creative (with art, music, space, film, etc)


-Tell Good stories. There is no easy 1,2,3 answer to the Christian life. It's hard, messy, and like growing a tree. Jesus is not a product we can sell with an infomercial. Bullet points do not always have an impact. Christian candy like testaments, christian t-shirts, and screaming on a bullhorn don't ALWAYS work either. My responsibility is to be in relationship with people.

--Technology is good I should use it but be careful that it doesn't take me away from actually interfacing and communicating with people.

--Love people everywhere, know them, hang out, pray and get out of the Christian Bubble. I should know my neighbors, baristas, the poor and downcast in my community. I should be willing to dialog with people who are different and disagree with me. Christianity is not meant to be a debate.

--Create a place where people can be real--and elevate a culture that welcomes questioning and confession.

--Invite, Anoint, train, partner, and discipline leaders to lead.

--Major on God--and the core truths (don't waste time and petty arguments that aren't fundamental--and don't be self-righteously judgemental with those who disagree.

--be humble

--LOVE GOD AND LOVE PEOPLE


Earth shattering revelations? Not completely but challenging nonetheless. Hopefully if you are around me and this great community God has called us to, you will also be a part of living these things out!

No comments: