Monday, November 27, 2006

Preparing for Christmas

Well, Thanksgiving 2006 is now just a memory and we only have four days of November left. That actually pumps me up. Wendy and I just got back late last night from our vacation. It was extremely relaxing and totally fun. It was a much needed break for us both. As we cruised around in our rented car, every radio station we listened to was playing Christmas music. It was actually quite funny driving around in 85 degree weather while singing along to "I'm dreaming of a White Christmas." But it did spring board us into a jubilant mood! How's that for being festive..Jubilant! It's true. Like little children we'd be singing out loud, catch a glimpse of each other and burst out laughing, practically letting out a little squeal of joy because we were so happy. And yes, we squealed! Well, at least I squealed a couple of times (I'll leave Wendy out of this) because I was happy. Happy #1 that we were on vacation, but #2 that Christmas was coming. I really love Christmas, or maybe I just love parts of it. I love the Starbucks drinks (egg nog chai and peppermint mochas), the lights, the music, the smells, the decorations, and the time to relax and be with family. I definitely don't love the rushing around to five different Christmas parties in one weekend or being busy with decorating, church activities AND normal life responsibilities all in the same month. I definitely don't like shopping in crowded malls with long lines full of impatient people like me. Am I a Grinch? This got me thinking about the importance of perspective. Because with four days left of November we have a lot of choices here. December for some is hard because it means finals, going into debt Christmas shopping, exhaustion trying to get every thing done, and still for others this season is dreaded because it can be sad and lonely with out certain loved ones, or even frustrating WITH certain "loved ones." But in reality we have a choice here. It's all about our perspective. If we truly want to have a perspective that brings us joy (enough joy to squeal) and brings honor to God, it is going to take some thinking and some action. So for this month I hope to blog about choices and how we can choose truth, choose to have a Godly attitude, choose to be peacemakers, and choose to focus on Jesus this Christmas season. (This will take time and being in the word to align your perspective with God).

My first suggestion is start RIGHT NOW by choosing and dedicating this month (of potential craziness) to God no matter what awaits us. We need to think rightly and live in good healthy boundaries so we can enjoy this season and honor our savior. I am going to pray this myself, too. Adapt this to your life, but here is what I will pray.

Abba God, I stop to consider what you want for me. Your word says that whatever I do, all my words and all my actions, should be done to honor you. I want that. I want all that I do to honor you. I want the way I spend my time to honor you. Father, I want the way I treat myself, my wife, my family, my friends, and others around me to bring you honor. I want the way I spend your money to bring you honor. I pray that for this month. Give me your perspective on money this month. I pray that I could think and act like Jesus Christ. I want your joy no matter what. I will choose to be with you and remember your word. I want to make good choices with my time. I want to respond to you in faith and to others with love. I love you and want to love others. Thanks that this season is about you, your son, your plan, and your love. I dedicate it and prepare for what you want! I love you! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


Some truth to align your perspective:

COLOSSIANS 1:19-23
God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in Him (Jesus) and through Him to reconcile himself to all things, whether things on earth or things in heave, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross. Once you were alienated from God and were enemies in your minds because of your evil behavior. But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation-if you continue in your faith, established and firm, not moved from the hope held out in the gospel.

COLOSSIANS 3:17
Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through Him
.

No comments: