Friday, March 20, 2009

Cash Crash Newsflash: God is in the recession


It seems that God is always teaching me to trust him, especially in the area of money. I have family and friends who also, some with out jobs, are facing some huge financial challenges in this time. It's hitting a lot of people. Currently, our church has cut 10% of it's 2009-2010 budget and there will be no staff raises, not even a cost of living increase until possibly June 2010. Personally, I wonder how with two kids, one income, a failing economy, and lots of out of pocket dental bills we will make ends meet. I am tempted to worry, but when I stop and remember who my God is, I worry no more. This week we received a bill for $1100 for a new dental mouth guardthat I have to wear to help treat my TMJ pain. YIKES. This was not good news. I asked the dentist for an extension until April 1st and she was graceful to say yes. Then within 24 hours God provided 20% through the generous giving of others, who just felt prompted by God to give with no knowledge of our financial need! Talk about eye-opening and awe-inspiring. God is a provider. Why do we worry when God says he will provide when we seek him, abide, and live life in his Kingdom! If I'm really going to claim that I'm a Christ follower, I need to claim Mathew 6:25-33 and really live it. So, I'm trusting that either through a tax return or some other cool way God will cover this (and finally bring healing to this crazy pain in my mouth someday!)

For more thoughts on God in this challenging economic time read John Piper's blog.

Here's a snippet of what he says:

Some of) God’s Purposes in This Recession
Now what are some of God’s purposes in this recession? I will mention five:

1. He intends for this recession to expose hidden sin and so bring us to repentance and cleansing.


2. He intends to wake us up to the constant and desperate condition of the developing world where there is always and only recession of the worst kind.

3. He intends to relocate the roots of our joy in his grace rather than in our goods, in his mercy rather than our money, in his worth rather than our wealth.

4. He intends to advance his saving mission in the world—the spread of the gospel and the growth of his church—precisely at a time when human resources are least able to support it. This is how he guards his glory.


5. He intends for the church to care for its hurting members and to grow in the gift of love.

No comments: